Malaysian soldiers in an armored personnel carrier drive towards the area where the stand-off with Sulu gunmen is on going, in Tanduo village on March 4, 2013. Malaysia's government vows to beef up its security forces in an eastern state where nearly 30 people have been reported killed as police and soldiers grapple with a bizarre invasion by followers of a former Philippine sultanate. AFP PHOTO / MOHD RASFAN
KUALA LUMPUR: Defence Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said 13 Sulu terrorists were killed in two days of Ops Daulat which was launched on the intruders in Lahad Datu, Sabah.
Speaking in a joint press conference with Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishamuddin Hussein, Zahid also revealed photographs of slain terroritsts to the media.
"This is the proof, the bodies that we managed to gather, and we are in the process of collecting more bodies," he was quoted as saying in The Star.
Zahid also confirmed that the forensic police were attacked during checks on the cemetery but they are safe.
He said people should not disparage the mopping and searching operation conducted by the national security forces as it takes time due to geographical factors.
Hishamuddin confirmed no casualties from Malaysian side during the operation.
Meanwhile Bernama reported police have arrested four men suspected to have links with intruders involved in the ambush incident in Kampung Sri Jaya Simunul, in Semporna, Sabah, last Saturday.
They were arrested during the police's special operation intended to catch intruders who masquerade as villagers.
It was reported earlier that an armed terrorist was believed to have been shot dead while trying to ambush the Malaysian national security forces on the second day of 'Ops Daulat' in Kampung Tanduo, Lahad Datu, Sabah on early Tuesday morning.
Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Ismail Omar however said the body of the terrorist was retrieved by his accomplices.
Ismail also confirmed that the terrorists were now impersonating as members of the public to escape the security forces personnel.
In the 6.45 am incident, the Malaysian police and armed forces who were involved in the sweeping and mopping up operation to flush out the terrorists were ambushed and being shot at first before they returned fire in defence.