Fate of sacked employees in KSSB's hand

AddThis

Fate of sacked employees in KSSB's hand

Fate of sacked employees in KSSB's hand

Wednesday, February 22, 2012
  • khalid ibrahim & faekah husin
''The Selangor government has left the nine employees grouses to the company's board of directors to solve,'' said Faekah Husin. (Graphic by Dayang Norazhar for The Mole.)

KUALA LUMPUR: The Selangor government has decided not to interfere in the controversies surrounding nine sacked employees by the state’s government sand mining concessionaire Kumpulan Semesta Sdn Bhd (KSSB).


Selangor Menteri Besar Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim's political secretary Faekah Husin said the state government  decided to leave the matter in the hands of the state's appointed company directors.


Speaking to The Mole, she said: “despite the MB receiving complaints about the irregularities, he cannot micromanage the matter involving the employees and the management, thus we have left it to the company’s board of directors to handle their grouses.’’


“The staffs made a right thing to take their case to the industrial court, and they have my full support for justice to be done on their behalf,” said Faekah who is also spokesperson for the Menteri Besar.


Faekah also said the state does not interfere with the affairs involving state government-linked companies (GLCs) and their staff.


“The MB as a politician cannot interfere in the company's management issues, thus it is the company’s top management priorities to handle the alleged irregularities by their staff.’’


A blog post in Cucu Tok Selampit critised the state government for allowing KSSB to fire all nine employees that had tried to uncover controversies in the firm.


The blogger also stated KSSB, formed by the Selangor MB, had failed in their promise to use the RM150 million state allocation for the people of Selangor, as promised by Khalid in his budget speech.


In a news report, all nine employees claimed they paid a high price for voicing out irregularities in the company’s operation.


All nine claimed they were forced to resign and sacked over a five-month period beginning August last year.                                                                                                                              


The controversy had erupted following claims of sand thefts and corruption that resulted in hundreds of millions of ringgit dwindled.


In another news report today, Kumpulan Hartanah Selangor Bhd had removed its company secretary and two officials received a show-cause letter over the ''loss'' of a 234ha piece of land in Gombak worth RM250 million belonging to a fully-owned subsidiary of KSSB. 


Previously The Mole published a statement by the Selangor government demanding police investigation on the murder of businessman Datuk Patrick Wong after prominent blogger Raja Petra Kamaruddin claimed Wong was murdered by hired killers when he was gathering proof of alleged corruption in Pakatan Rakyat-led Selangor in sand mining activities. 


Also, a blog post in Dialograkyat stated the public hearing between the Selangor Select Committee on Competency, Accountability and Transparency (Selcat) on the sand mining controversy involving KSSB will resume for three days from March 5.