One terrorist killed on second day of Ops Daulat


One terrorist killed on second day of Ops Daulat

One terrorist killed on second day of Ops Daulat

Wednesday, March 6, 2013
  • Lahad Datu - Standoff
One terrorist killed on early Tuesday morning (Graphic by Dayang Norazhar/ The Mole)

KUALA LUMPUR: An armed terrorist was believed to have been shot dead while trying to ambush the Malaysian national security forces on the second day of 'Ops Daulat' in Kampung Tanduo, Lahad Datu, Sabah on early Tuesday morning.


Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Ismail Omar however said the body of the terrorist was retrieved by his accomplices.


Ismail also confirmed that the terrorists were now impersonating as members of the public to escape the security forces personnel.


In the 6.45 am incident, the Malaysian police and armed forces who were involved in the sweeping and mopping up operation to flush out the terrorists were ambushed and being shot at first before they returned fire in defence.


"During the incident, one enemy was shot," said Ismail at a joint-press conference with Army chief Gen Tan Sri Zulkifeli Mohd Zin.


There are no deaths or injuries among the Malaysian security forces.


Malaysian security forces launched an offensive against the armed terrorists in Kampung Tanduo, Lahad Datu yesterday.


The offensive began with an aerial attack using F-18 and Hawk fighter aircraft and followed by the firing of mortar and ground assault by the army.


The operation, codenamed 'Ops Daulat, continued with sweeping and mopping up activities from house to house within four-km radius of the village.


The operation area had now been expanded to track down the terrorists who were believed to have moved to certain areas.


Ismail advised the people in the area to be extra careful and to get latest information at the nearest police station or tactical post of the national security.


"I would also like to ask the public not to panic as the national security forces have the situation under control," said Ismail. --Bernama